Sunday, December 6, 2015

Orwell Question #3


12/6/15:

3.  Orwell says that every writer “ask(s) himself at least four questions: What am I trying to say?  What words will express it?  What image or idiom will make it clearer?  Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?”  What do you think of these questions?  Do you agree or disagree that they are the most essential questions for writers to ask themselves?  Explain why.

I am fond of the questions.  I like to believe I ask myself similar questions while writing.  Of course, you need to consider what you are trying to say.  If you’re not sure what you are trying to say how is anybody else supposed to?  Finding the right words to use is crucial.  Words can have different meanings to different people.  if you don’t pick and choose your words artfully people can easily interpret what you are trying to say wrong, for better or for worse.  Creating the image in your readers mind is needed.  if I can’t visualize what someone is writing or apply to something that’s really going on in the world it is very unlikely I will understand what you mean.  For the sat question, I am not sure if ‘fresh’ is the right word to use there but the concept of the question is needed.  Basically, is there enough relevance in your writing so that people will intently read it.  

I agree, these are generally the most essential questions.  However, the “at least” part of George Orwell’s point is important.  Those questions shouldn’t be what you limit yourself do.  There are many other elements to possibly consider and evaluate.  “What am I trying to say?” is the foundation to compare the other three questions on.  You want people to understand what you are trying to say the way your thoughts understand it.  It is difficult to do.  To go from thoughts to words so that other people understand what you are trying to say is hard.  Finding the right words, making a clearer image, and evaluating relevance all are extremely important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment